24 March 2014

Old friend

Today I got to sit and chat with an old friend. 19 years since the last time we saw each other ... high school graduation. Sure, we've talked on the phone, through chat programs, and via email over the years, but nothing beats sitting down face to face with a cup of coffee and just saying "Fuck, it's good to see you."

We caught up on who wound up becoming bible thumping Jesus freaks, who got fat, who lost their hair, who lost their damn mind, and who we've cut out of our lives (turns out, both of us cut spouses out...).

Life is pretty damn funny. I have memories of quoting Monty Python back in 6th grade and Rhi thought I was pretty fucking weird for doing it, and now she's pretty much forcing her older kid to learn Monty Python. We were pretty much inseparable for 6 years, and then we had a falling out. Not because of a clash in personalities or anything like that; she had a goal and I didn't. She's been living her dream (well, mostly... remember that cut out spouse bit) and I've been ... playing the part of Forrest Gump, floating on the breeze like a feather. I was surprised to find out that she was actually disappointed in me when I started making some of the choices that I did. I don't regret any of them though, they made me who I am today. That sounds like such a bullshit cop-out excuse...but when you've spent a night making cactus soup, asking the tree about how the pod works, and spotting the strings that hold the stars in place you have to admit that those are all things that change your perceptions on a lot of things.

She asked me about my current interest, and just thinking about her and where I wanted to start got me grinning and blushing (or twitterpated, as Rhi put it). She told me to pursue her with everything I had, to grab on to that little bit of happiness and hold on. I really want to.

All in all, the day left me happy and smiling. Fuck the melancholy that's been threatening to creep in. Fuck the bad days that I've put behind me, they're behind me. The future is looking bright, and I've gotten enough good days in despite the shitstorm I've created and passed through to get to where I am.

Here's the photo evidence that the iPhone takes better pictures than an Android (either that or someone moved at the last moment):

Revenge of the crazy eye!
I swear she moved...

No comments:

Post a Comment